Translate

Sunday, June 29, 2014

Kitchen Makeover - tile back splash

Knot Sew Perfect Designs – BLOG

Explanation: Knot = wood knot, crochet knot etc. Sew = I sew just enough to get by; Sow- seeds for gardening either flower or veggie.Perfect = absolutely exquisitely done but KNOT by me (sometimes). What I do sometimes I have never done before so the results are Knot Perfect!  Design = Could be most anything. A crocheted rug, a kitchen makeover, a patio, garden, a new recipe , decorating something or something basic.

KITCHEN MAKEOVER - tile back splash -  phase 3


And CHALLENGE MYSELF I did on this one.  I have never done tile work using a tile saw, etc.  I have laid a slate floor entryway with grout and all, many, many years ago and it came out great.  (sorry, no pics).  PS - Home Depot has a wet tile saw and said if I laid out the cut on the tiles, they would do it for me - how is that? So you don't have to buy a tile saw but make sure of where your cuts are!   Luckily my friend had just moved to Greenville, SC and left me with her tile saw!!  What the  heck - if she can use it so could I.

So this is the area I wanted to cover...under the cabinets and behind the stove.  Okay - not a big area.  I can do this.  I bought a couple different single squares of tile patterns to see which one I liked best and luckily that one was on sale.  How I do like saving money.



My bursitis in my shoulder was really acting up after doing all the cabinet work and hurt like hell if you must know. So - just for the heck of it I asked (through CraigsList) a couple tile contractors for a very rough estimate on how much it would cost for THEM to do.    I gave them the dimensions and both came back with: Minimum charge of $250.00 and up to $500.00.  ARE YOU KIDDING?  Bursitis or not, I am NOT paying that much and get this - this ol' gal put the tile up with cutouts for the outlets and light switch in just under 6 hours.  That also included time out for lunch (actually sitting down to eat)  and visiting with the neighbor who was painting something that day.  So let's say about 5 hours. YES, I did use a level and it didn't come out too bad.  No, it is KNOT PERFECT but it still looks good I think.  Would I charge someone to do this?  Probably not.  It's my first time and I look at it every day so I do see some flaws. (surprise)  The "stuff" has been put back on the counter to help with distraction!!

OH - and look at the hardware I used...isn't that gorgeous?  Brushed copper knobs and half cup pulls.  Remember I got them off Amazon for HALF the price of Home Depot or Lowes.  Against the white cabinet they really POP.

So even though I had never done tile work I wasn't going to to let that stop me or, pay THAT kind of money for someone else to do.  See - I still haven't won the lottery - not even a dollar!!  So CHALLENGE YOURSELF.  Like I said - the first time may Knot be Perfect but should I do more tiling then I know it would come out better. 

 Because I didn't really know what I was doing it probably took me a little longer than a professional but I TRIED & I DID IT.  You never know until you try.  AND YOU CAN TOO....give IT a try and see what happens.  Start small and go from there.

The only thing left to do is clean the kitchen - again.  What's with that?  I cleaned it last week!!

CHALLENGE YOURSELF. I hope I have given you some ENCOURAGEMENT and IDEAS so you can have and do what you'd like in your kitchen - or any room.  It's amazing what a can of paint can do.

IF YOU DON'T TRY you'll never know.  You may be the next expert in the making. Doing things yourself gives you a lot of pride.  You can say, "Oh, I did that!" The praise that follows is certainly good for the ego.

***FIRE ANTS - 'tis that time of year - they are everywhere.  I stepped in a mound last week - Dag-nabbit. Ow. Wash area with soap and water.  To help with burning feeling, make a paste of vinegar and baking soda then apply to area.  This really helps.  Keep the little blisters popped and apply ammonia or alcohol to help dry out. Yes, it will burn/sting for a moment but it will help.  WATCH WHERE YOU STEP.






No comments:

Post a Comment