Translate

Sunday, June 22, 2014

Kitchen Makeover - pantry cabinet

    Knot Sew Perfect DesignsBLOG3

Explanation: Knot = wood knot, crochet knot etc. Sew = I sew just enough to get by; sow- seeds for gardening either flower or veggie. Perfect = absolutely exquisitely done but KNOT by me (sometimes). What I do sometimes I have never done before so the results are Knot Perfect!  Design = Could be most anything. A crocheted rug, a kitchen makeover, a patio, garden, a new recipe, decorating something or something basic.

       
KITCHEN MAKEOVER – phase one
                                            
I moved into my house 5 years ago. At that time we (daughter and son) went through it completely with new paint which I researched colors for some time. Now, I don't like the color in the kitchen and even though I have tons of cabinets I hated bending over or “crawling on the floor” to see what was on the bottom shelf in the back. Call me lazy but if I had MY WAY, cabinets would be from the waist up.! (I'm 6 ft tall) so I have the reach!!

Let me say one thing - this is NOT JUST FOR WOMEN.  Guys, this applies to you as well.  Need some simple encouragement?  
YOU CAN DO THIS TOO.  You can do anything if you TRY.  So you have to ask for help - how else will you (we) learn? So let's get at it.  Who will be the HERO when you create something awesome for your wife or partner?  HERO STATUS?  Think about it - yeah, you got this.

So this is what happened: Turned a large cabinet with microwave area into an all cabinet with SLIDING SHELVES...a pantry. How exciting is that? I had a huge pantry in my old house and really do miss having one even tho' I'd forget sometimes WHY I went in there...but hey, that happens to all of us right?  I am so excited about this. I did however have to enlist my brother for his knowledge and skills.(I ASKED FOR HELP) Didn't hurt a bit!! Thank goodness for big brothers.We all, my brother, sister-in-law and myself transformed this awesome cabinet. I KNOW now HOW to MAKE SLIDING SHELVES. Ta-DA












Pic #1 is before and actually had doors on upper and lower areas. Pic #2 is shelving completely done (isn't my brother handsome? Sorry ladies, he already has a wonderful wife!)  Isn't the little rounded cutout just the cutest thing you ever saw?  Designed by using a bowl.  Hey - use what you got.  

 I don't even know if I could explain what we did to make these shelves (sorry no pics, too busy cutting) other than buy drawer slides the depth you need.(follow instructions)  Buy 1”x 3” lumber to complete the number of shelves you need & buy plywood for the base of the shelf. You can even ask Home Depot or Lowes to cut for you if you have the dimensions you need - but be sure on measurements.  Nice huh?  That way you do not have to go out and by all the power tools unless you get "high" by using them or just need an excuse to get them and justify the purchase to your wife!!

 Now that I have seen (and helped) make these, they don't seem so difficult. My BFF in VT wants me to come help her turn a small closet off her kitchen into a pantry with the sliding shelves. We did have to use the neighbor's table saw to cut the plywood into our needed size but other than that a skill saw or chop saw, and drill are pretty much all we used. See, told you I wanted a table saw. We also had to make new doors as the microwave area did not have a door. Isn't this elegant looking?  It really does make the kitchen look awesome.  Good job everyone.  And just so you know, this did not get completed in one day.  Between the rain and going to the beach, it was completed over a few days.






Sliding shelves are awesome. The drawer slides are rated to 50 lbs. I have so much room in my other cabinets. My daughter was gracious enough to come and help (do) organize all this new area. I used that dreaded bottom shelf for small appliances I use once in a while...or not at all! Probably should sell them on Craigslist!! Make $$ for yet another project!

Even if you have the idea of what you want you still may have to ask for help. Luckily my brother was in the area AND had the skills to help.  That's what family and friends are for.

So don't be afraid to try something new. I feel confident enough I could actually build sliding shelves for my BFF in Vermont and I think my son would have the tools I need and could borrow.

Trying something new does not have to be in construction; it could be as simple as trying a new recipe or taking a different route to work.  Everyone needs a little change once in awhile.

***Tis' the season for ticks...mix 1 part tea tree oil and 2 parts water; put in a spray bottle and spray your skin, shoes, socks, etc before you go outside.
















No comments:

Post a Comment