Translate

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Time for a Little Southwest - Cactus style

  – Knot So Perfect Designs – BLOG

Explanation: Knot = wood knot, crochet knot etc. So = so let's get started, Sew = I sew just enough to get by; sow- seeds for gardening either flower or veggie. Perfect = absolutely exquisitely done but KNOT by me (sometimes). What I do sometimes I have never done before so the results are Knot Perfect!   Design = Could be most anything. A crocheted rug, a kitchen makeover, a patio, garden, a new recipe or decorating something - maybe even some awesome pictures. 


Time for a Little Southwest - Let's make a CACTUS from recycled pallet wood.  

Of course you will need a pallet or just a few pieces.  This is a good starter project because it's easy to fit on the pallet board and is easy to hook together.  You will also need a picture or clip art of a cactus.


 As mentioned before when we were doing the owl,   Staples has a blueprint copier and can make copies as big as  3 ft x 2 ft.  That will get you a nice sized cactus.
The next step is to make a pattern and transfer to the pallet wood. Once again, unless you are going to paint or stain this, the hardest part is choosing the wood.  If you are lucky enough to have a piece
wide enough for the main part of the cactus that certainly helps. I did and just had to add the "arms". 

Once I got this all laid out and cut, I found the wood of one "arm" was totally the wrong color
and didn't look good at all.  Had I known I was going to paint this in the end (few days after I completed), I wouldn't have worried about the difference - but I did.  I cut another "arm" that looked similar to the wood of the main part of the cactus.

After this, I hooked it altogether.  That was easy as it only required attaching the two "arms".  Once again, I used my nail gun, pow, pow, and it was done. 



I sanded the front and edges some more to make sure it wouldn't "bite" as cactus always do.  

This was pretty easy and took little time to complete.  

This is for my sister.  She likes southwestern decor.  I hope she likes it.  She will however see it here before she gets it as she is unable to be here at the same time as my brother.  That was my intention and her birthday was early February. Well Sis, what do you think??

After looking at this for a few days I decided it should be
green - at least a little.  I painted it - let it dry and sanded some of it off.  I then sealed with Thompson's water seal just in case it ended up outside.




1 comment:

  1. Seriously awesome @Barb, no watering needs and if it rains too much the water seal will help! Love it

    ReplyDelete