Translate

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

NEED SHADE?? Let's Get Some!

NEED SHADE?? 
                 Let's get some! 

Explanation: Knot = wood knot, crochet knot etc. Sew = I sew just enough to get by; Sow- seeds for gardening either flower or veggie. Perfect = absolutely exquisitely done but KNOT by me (sometimes). What I do sometimes I have never done before so the results are Knot Perfect!
Design = Could be most anything. A crocheted rug, a kitchen makeover, a patio, garden, a new recipe , decorating something or something basic.


This is a REPOST for those of you who wanted to do this last year but didn't get around to it.  Ok - here it is again...early in the season so you have time to get it done before it's hotter than Hatties !

Like I've said before, I have not been able to win the lottery so I do things on the “cheap”...or inexpensive, etc.

I have a 12'x34' deck which I love. I used to have a screened in porch on my previous house of 25 yrs and I loved it. I am a morning person and would take my coffee and watch the world – really only my neighborhood – wake up. It was so peaceful and serene. Come late fall I would put plastic over the screen so I could sit out there longer; even into December. (my house was in Vermont); I went as far as putting a Kerosun Heater out there – that's how much I loved my porch. Here, in NC it isn't as bad but...I still need the shade as the summer sun can be brutal at times. And, it does have a way of warming your house up thus making your AC run more. Yuk $$.

So, here is what I did without having to spend $1000.00 + on a roof etc.

Materials: adjust for whatever size you use

Sun Sail 11'9”x11'9”  = $100.00 +
 OR - check out Amazon - they have them
          from $25.00 & up
  OR - painter's canvas drop cloth
         ($10-20.00 at Walmart)
Grommet kit = $8.95
24 + carbine clips = $ .99 ea
2 - 2”x2”x8' lumber = $2.47 each
2-3 pcs 2”x4”x8' lumber =$3.47
2 pcs 1 1/2” pipe or another 2x4 will work as well
pipe clips to hold pipe to 2x4's = $ .89 each
3” wood screws = $8.98 bx
drill
rope or bungie cords - $4.98
paint if you want lumber to match your house/porch



I used a Sun Sail

The Sun Sail comes in many sizes but are odd-sized....not a basic size. The link above is from Amazon. There are other sites that vary in prices. I was lucky enough to get mine on CraigsList. (I'm a CL junkie !!) What I had to do is buy a grommet kit – usually about $4-8.00. You can purchase these most anywhere. I got mine at Harbor Freight Tools for $3.97 on sale.

You can attach to house or secure each corner to posts. Rope comes with it. OR, you can attach to your house, etc as I did.  I think it doesn't "flop in the breeze" as much.

I put grommets on 2 opposite ends, one foot apart. I also bought carbine clips (Walmart has the cheapest ones so far). Doing this allows you to take down in a hurry should high winds from a tropical storm or hurricane be in the forecast.

I used 2 - 2”x2”x8' pieces of lumber to screw to the house (pic #1) - unless you just want to rope each corner to a post or hook attached to house.


Pre-drill holes in 2x2s to make it easier to attach to house and not to split the wood. (OH  & paint first to match house – much easier than afterwards!) Attach sail to house side first then use rope to pull tight on opposite side (pic #2). You will have to adjust rope for a while as it tends to stretch.



I did have to ask for assistance from my neighbor to help put the 2x4's on the outside of the deck (8 ft off the ground) and he volunteered to attached the 2x2's to the house.  He was just being a gentlemen and helping a lady out!!   Besides, he was bored and had no projects of his own going on!!  I think he wishes I had lots more money so he could help me with more projects!  I told him that we could do all sorts of stuff but he'd have to pay for materials....that didn't fly!!  Darn, can't blame a girl for trying.

Keep in mind the Sun Sail DOES NOT BLOCK THE RAIN only filters the sun. It still allows bright light which is good for plants and if it rains, it can still water the plants. It has helped keep the hot afternoon sun off my slider and help keep the heat from that area. I also put one at the front of my house this year to block the southern sun on 3 big windows....what a difference it has made.

The nice thing about the Sun Sail is you can take it down in late fall to get the warmth of the winter sun.

                                                                     



                                                                                                                                                              
Shade for under $200.00 (full retail) and a nice place to sit. The plants love it and flourish. The only problem there was having enough room IN the house once fall/winter arrives to put the plants back inside!!

DIY's  has just posted 20 ideas for shade with many of them using a sun shade of sorts.  It's cheaper and I think looks better than a solid roof. 


 Can't afford full price for a sun shade?  Try a painter's canvas drop cloth 
- $12.95 at Walmart. Buy a grommet kit and Wa-La, shade.  I am planning on using that in another project I have planned - of course that will be another blog!

I see many ideas that I know I can do myself and even the ones that may be a little more challenging but I “go for it” anyways! I will figure out how to get it done. So – DON'T BE AFRAID TO TRY  - you are MORE TALENTED than you might think & you just may surprise yourself.


***Don't leave your wet laundry in a ball when you put in the dryer.  They will dry quicker and more wrinkle free if you shake them out first.  I don''t know about you but I HATE to IRON!!  

2 comments:

  1. I have to say that even with the HOT August sun, this shade and the one I put on the front of my house has dramatically helped by electric bill stay $30-40 LESS than in previous years. So it isn't a bad idea to put up a "sunshade" if you have a hot window area. Give it a whirl!!

    ReplyDelete