Translate

Monday, June 1, 2015

Adventure on the high Seas - SAILBOAT - Recycled wood

  – Knot So Perfect Designs – BLOG

Explanation: Knot = wood knot, crochet knot etc. So = So, let's get started or, Sew =I sew just enough to get by; sow- seeds for gardening either flower or veggie. Perfect = absolutely exquisitely done but KNOT by me (sometimes). What I do sometimes I have never done before so the results are Knot Perfect! Design = Could be most anything. A crocheted rug, a kitchen makeover, a patio, garden, a new recipe or decorating something - maybe even some awesome pictures. 



So – you are likely to see and read about most anything here. Dreams, schemes and basic things.

ADVENTURE ON THE HIGH  SEAS - let's make a SAILBOAT from recycled pallet wood.

Because my brother will be visiting soon, I thought I'd make him (& wife) a sailboat seeing how they have had a big sailboat for many years.  He was also in the Navy.  I figure that if I can make the owl ....did you see my blog on the owl?  You better back up kids and check it out.  It is so darn cute.  So if I can make the owl I should be able to make a sailboat.


First off I found a very basic clip-art of a sailboat; went to Staples and had it enlarged 250%, shizam - that's big - so I could make a pattern.  Next I traced this onto cardboard so I could cut it out and use as a pattern.
 Who knows, someone else might like one after they see this!!!??  $$$  ha ha ha.  

Ok, so next I cut the pattern out.  Darn, I get so caught up in doing this I forget to take pictures...senior moment?  Possibly but more likely that of a creative mind at work!!

Next, choose your wood and lay out the pattern to trace onto it.  Again, the hardest part is picking out the wood. And again, keep in mind there may be nails or nail heads still in the wood as it looks like it has been used in pallet making more than once prior to my getting them. (Sorry the picture is blurry but I think you get the idea).

Now it's time to cut out all the pieces.  And, it's time to get the power tools out! Get your jigsaw and fire that bad boy up.  Yup, forgot to take more pictures but hey, I'm excited about this as it is starting to take shape.  

Next you will need your palm sander to smooth edges and to clean up the front of each piece.  This helps to get rid of any markings from where you traced the pattern onto the wood.

Lay the pieces out, tack and glue where needed and mark where pieces should "meet".  I say this because now you have to flip it to hook it altogether on the reverse side.  And yup - still forgetting to take pictures.

After you have it all tacked together, stand back and GLOAT!  Goodness me - this came out pretty darn good.  Look at that will ya' - 3D even. How awesome is that? 



Damn, almost broke my arm from patting myself on the back!!  ha ha ha  Not sure if I will stain, paint or leave as is.  I guess this will be determined by my brother once he sees it.

And did you see the ball on the top of the mast?  Pretty cool huh? Thought you'd like that.  That was tricky.  Yes it's a bead which I drilled a hole through.  I took thick wire and threaded it through then drilled another hole in the top of the mast which I inserted the wire into.  I put glue on the wire and the bead - hopefully it will stay.  I'll know better tomorrow!

I still need to fine tune putting these together and making the back look nicer but hey - I can't see it from my house!! Nor can I see it now - it is the BACK and you won't see it.  Why else do you think this is called KNOT So PERFECT Designs?


Remember I keep saying this isn't just for girls?   
****

This is for anyone. 

You don't have to know HOW - you just need the DESIRE to TRY.

By all means leave me comments or ask questions if you have them and as always, feel free to share this blog with your friends.

Never wrestle with plastic wrap again: Store cellophane wrap in the freezer.  Yup - you heard me. The cold air reduces the plastic's static electricity, so it won't stick to the roll (or your hands) when you pull off a piece.

Note:  **** unknown origin

1 comment:

  1. LOOOVE it, @Barb, you are an artist! PLus, I love the weathered look, it's so much better than these bright colored boats (made in China). :)) way to go

    ReplyDelete